TOYAMA RYÚ HISTORY
In the year 1873 the Rikigun Toyama Gakkó army academy focused on the training of officers is founded. Some of the subjects taught there included: sword, knife, bayonet, ju-jutsu, sumó.
Toyama Ryú was founded in the year 1925 and it´s original name was Guntó no Sóho. Morinaga Kiyoshi, who had been the head of the Kenjutsu Konkyú Kai at the Toyama academy asked for help from the Nakayama Hakudó (Hiromichi), 16th Soke of Shimomura fraction of the Musó Ryú Jikiden Eishin Iaidó. Nakayama-sensei had been studying Shimomura-ha Tosa Iai under the Hosokawa Yoshimasa and Tanimura-ha under the Morimoto Tokumi and had been given a Menkyó Kaiden in Ómori Ryú and Hasegawa Eishin Ryú. Thanks to this Toyama Ryú has it´s roots placed in the foremost traditional Japanese Koryú schools. At first, Guntó no Sóho had five kata and a tameshigiri (cutting) practice. In the year 1939 Morinaga Kiyoshi makes some changes, altering the fifth kata and adding two more.
After the Second World War martial arts are banned in Japan up to the year 1952, when the ban is lifted. Three original Toyama academy instructors have gained the right to teach Toyama Ryú and afterwards are establishing three main branches:
Our company is studying the Morinaga-ha branch under the supervision of Nakagawa Kinji – sensei (8th Dan, Hanshi).